Saturday, August 21, 2010

Run for the Fallen...

This morning I decided to do Run for the Fallen. It was a Charity 5k Run/Walk to help raise money for the Gold Star Memorial to be built at Willamette National Cemetary to honor the 113 Oregon service men & women who have lost their lives during the Iraq/Afghan wars.

It was Awesome and also rather emotional especially to hear from one of the mothers whose son was killed in action while overseas. But I knew that I wanted to do this not only because it would be a great workout. But because it would be one small way of paying tribute to the milltary service men and women who still serve to protect the freedoms that most of us take for granted.

So we began at just a little after 8:30 this morning and in just under an hour I crossed the finish. So for me that was amazing especially since it has been about 2 years since I had participated in any kind of fitness event.

But you know I want to do more!!! giggles. So in a few weeks I am planning to do a Diabetes walk and then Portlands race for the Cure. So it will be fun and all are great reasons to be involved. So stay tuned in the coming weeks as I share more about my fitness walks.

No comments:

Post a Comment